Family Day in Greater VictoriaFeb 13rd, 2020
If you’re anything like Kia Victoria owners Bethan and Brad Ostermann with their four sons, you’re definitely looking forward to Family Day and the long weekend. As a family owned local business, we’re all about spending quality time in Victoria and surrounding area. Here are our top ten ideas for your Family Day long weekend:
- It seems every recreation centre has a free family day activity on from Free Family Day Yoga at Panorama Rec, to a Free Family Skate or Swim at Oak Bay Rec, there’s definitely something going on in your neighbourhood.
- Family Day at the Legislature 10am-3pm Monday February 17: Visitors are welcome to join us for free family friendly activities, such as crafts and scavenger hunts, at the BC Parliament Buildings.
- 200 Boxes – ongoing event – ARTSEA GALLERY, 9565 Fifth Street, Sidney, British Columbia. This one deserves a top mention. I mean how many times have you bought your kid a gift only to have him play with the box first. It’s a Room Full of Boxes. Just Boxes. Little ones, big ones, all sorts for tunnels and towers and building a fort. It sounds perfect. Come play and have fun, there’s tons you can do, with a box you can say you’re in a canoe or driving a car or ﬂying a plane! Then pile the boxes and build them again! Mom and Dad can play with them too!
- Victoria Seedy Saturday at the Victoria Conference Centre February 15 10am-4pm: This is the official start to the gardening season in Victoria and the #1 place to find the LOCAL seeds, plants, tools and information to make 2020 your best growing season yet. Their focus in on LOCAL, organic, sustainable gardening and food security. Presentations and workshops are presented throughout the day with topics for beginners and experts. The exhibitor gallery features over 60 vendors and exhibitors, seed and book exchanges, cafe, children’s area, door prizes and much more. For more information visit our website at https://www.victoriaseedysaturday.ca/vss/
- Sidney Family Day Weekend Lego Event – 10am to 4pm – On February 16th & 17th visit the Lego Exhibition at Sidney Museum, where a multitude of models are on display. One of the highlights will be the construction of a giant LEGO model of a Pirate Galleon built by Canada’s only professional LEGO builder, Robin Sather. Throughout the two-day build at the Guide & Scout Hall (9732 Second Street) he will interact with kids and adults alike, answering questions and explaining the dynamic process of planning and building a giant LEGO creation. The weekend also includes LEGO displays by VicLUG, an opportunity for children to build a giant mosaic, guess the number of bricks in the Lego tower, and a chance to win prizes. Join in on a town Scavenger hunt in Sidney! Fun for all ages. Special thanks to our local sponsors, for supporting this fun community event!
- Kidsfest at the BC Aviation Museum 11am – 3pm – This is a very popular event for families and there are lots of great activities and crafts planned to entertain and educate children of all ages.
- Lonely Doug is a gargantuan, old-growth Douglas-fir tree standing alone in a recent logging clearcut near Port Renfrew. Lonely Doug is a tree with a trunk as wide as a living room and stands taller than a downtown skyscraper. Doug’s total size comes in just behind the current champion Douglas-fir, the Red Creek Fir, the world’s largest, which grows just one valley over. The fact that all of the surrounding trees have been clearcut around Doug gives the visitor a perspective that is unique from anywhere else. The approach to Doug follows a logging road off of the Gordon Main that travels through a forested area that suddenly opens up to expose the clearcut and Lonely Doug rising 230 feet to its upper branches. That is as high as a 23-story office tower. Do your research before you go. And do not forget the best of all family day mementos: a picture of your family holding hands around this mammoth tree. The Ostermanns could only cover one third of Lonely Doug with their big family of six! Check your vehicle before you go: our Telluride was a great fit for the rough pocked logging roads.
- Botanical Beach or China Beach: Nothing says family day on the island like a beach picture to send to all your relatives out east.
- Goldstream Park to go for a hike with some choice eagle watching, and finish with a marshmallows or wiener roast in one of their firepits.
- Mt Washington – enjoy 50% off alpine lift tickets and Nordic trail passes. For BC residents only.
- Bonus activity! We would be remiss if we didn’t invite you to come down to Kia Victoria this weekend. Find that perfect vehicle for your family. Demos are on sale now, plus deep year-end clearance discounts on all remaining 2019s. We’re open Saturday 8:30am to 6pm; Sunday closed; Family Day Monday from 11am to 5pm.
HAPPY FAMILY DAY!