Why KIA Was Forced to Stop Making Cars 1981-1986 and other interesting Facts.
Apr 22nd, 2020
Here are a few interesting facts about KIA Motors:
- KIA is one of the world’s fastest growing auto brands.
- When translated from Korean, KIA means “one, that came out of the east” or “rising out of Asia”
KIA was founded in December 1944 as Kyungsung Precision Industry, a bicycle manufacturer in South Korea. They built small motorcycles starting in 1957, trucks in 1962, and finally cars in 1974.
- The Brisa was KIA’s first car.
- Interestingly, Why. This was because the South Korean government decided that the country’s auto industry was too competitive and ordered KIA to cease manufacturing cars and instead should focus on light trucks.
- They sell over three million vehicles worldwide per year through 4,821 dealerships.
KIA Motors owns the world’s largest car assembly factory, located in South Korea, producing 114 cars an hour, or 2 a minute!
- Hyundai Motor Company owns 33.99% of KIA
- KIA Canada Inc. was established in 1999
- To date, KIA Canada has sold over 1,000,000 vehicles.
- The Telluride won over 70 awards in 2020 including World Car of the Year, AJAC Best Large Utility Vehicle in Canada, and Motortrend SUV of the Year
- The KIA Soul EV won 2020 World Urban, Car Guide Best Buy SUV of the Year, Vincentric Best Value in Canada
- You have to live north of the border to enjoy the KIA Forte5, which is not sold in the USA
- Kia Motors has been the highest ranked mass market brand in initial quality for five consecutive years by J.D. Power
- While not quite Canadian, KIA has had a show-stealing Superbowl commercial every year since 2010 starting with the cult-favourite hamsters.
- KIA plans to have 11 electric vehicle models by 2025, including their current 3 offerings (Soul, Niro, Optima)
- KIA Victoria, formerly Graham KIA, was purchased by two local Victoria families in October 2019.
- Between the owners, they have 6 sons, no daughters, and 5 pets.
- Four family members work at the dealership, if you don’t count 12-year-old and 10-year-old sons sweeping out the service bays on Saturdays for hot chocolates and chips from our snack bar
- We have over 35 employees
- KIA Victoria won the 2020 Community Driver Award, Vancouver Island Region, for their Soul Food Campaign with the Mustard Seed Food Bank.
- KIA Victoria has an old bank vault on the premises that no one knows how or why it’s there. It currently stores office supplies.
- Further to the above point, no pens ever go missing.
- history of KIA Motors
- history of KIA Canada
- history of KIA Victoria