Staking claim on the unoccupied space between SUV and family hauler is the all-new 2022 Kia Carnival Life Utility Vehicle (LUV). But MVP is the better moniker.
It was so remarkably popular that Kia Canada stopped all factory orders for a while to catch up. An IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK, the Carnival boasts best-in-class passenger room, best-in-class cargo room, and best-in-class horsepower. So, there’s space for everything. People, playthings, or plywood, depending on the day’s errands…or adventures.
Add in a passenger viewing camera with zoom and night vision, a passenger intercom system, and dual screen entertainment monitors with screen mirroring and your passengers may never want to leave. And we haven't even talked about the VIP lounge seating with full recline yet.
Plus, the Carnival wears KIA’s all-new signature bold and boxy appearance, like the Telluride, Sorento, and Seltos. Inside, the three-row seven- or eight-passenger LUV delivers a premium level of refinement, savvy technology, and flexibility.
But don't take our word for it. Here's a list of some award highlights:
- 2022 AJAC Best Minivan
- Autotrader Best New Cars for 2022
- IIHS Top Safety Pick
- Top honors in the ‘Transportation’ category in the annual GOOD DESIGN Awards
How does the Kia Carnival Compare?
The Kia Carnival has five trim levels to choose from, starting at $36,745 including freight. But how does it stack up against the top competitors in the segment? Let's take a peek.
**All prices include freight**
- LX $36,745
- LX+ $40,245
- EX $44,245
- EX+ $47,545
- SX $50,545
- EX $45,600
- EXL $50,300
- Touring $56,800
- LE $42,940
- XLE $45,940
- XSE $48,480
- Limited AWD $61,180
- Touring $52,290
- Touring L $53,790
- Limited $64,225
- Pinnacle $71,425
Kia Carnival Trim Levels
- 8-passenger seating with removable second row
- 5-year/100,000 km - Worry-Free Comprehensive Warranty
- 5 year/ unlimited mileage - 24/7 roadside Assistance
- 3.5L, GDI V6, aluminum block and head engine, 290 hp @ 6,400 rpm
- 8-speed automatic transmission, 262 lb-ft torque @ 5,000 rpm
- 3,500 lbs towing capacity
- 17" alloy wheels
- 8" display audio, Bluetooth, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay,
- Cruise control
- Lane follow assist
- Driver attention warning assist
- Rear seat reminder
- Remote keyless entry
- Heated windshield and washer nozzle
- Rearview camera and sensors
- Air Conditioning
- Adds to LX
- Trailer package
- Multi-directional power driver's seat with power lumbar
- Heated front seats, heated steering wheel
- Integrated rear door sunshades
- Wireless phone charger
- Smart key with push button start
- Power Sliding Doors
- Smart Power Tailgate
- Tri-Zone Auto Climate Control
- Adds to LX+
- 19” Machine Finish Alloy Wheels
- Auto-folding sideview mirrors
- Vegan leather seats
- Power passenger seat
- Rear seat reminder with sensors
- Front and Rear parking sensors
- Sliding door spot lamp
- 110V outlets (2)
- Advanced smart cruise control
- UVO and Homelink system
- Blind Spot Collision Avoidance Assist
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist
- FCA-Junction Assist
- Safe Exit Assist
- Adds to EX
- 12.3” Multimedia Screen with Navigation
- 12.3” Digital Instrument Cluster
- Rear voice recognition
- Navigation based cruise control
- Passenger view camera
- Blind view monitoring
- 360 Around-view Monitor
- Adds to EX+
- 7-passenger seating
- Second Row VIP Lounge Captain Seats (power adjustable) with kick-out leg rests
- Heated and air-cooled front and 2nd row
- 4-way driver lumbar support, driver's memory seat
- Pure Leather Seating
- 19" black alloy wheels
- Dual Sunroof
- Parking collision avoidance assist
- BOSE Premium Audio
The Mic Drop: Innovative Flexible Cabin
The likes of which the world has never seen. Victoria to Tofino is an adventure in luxury with VIP lounge seating with power controls, wing-out headrests and leg extensions.
- Best-in-class 168.2 cubic feet of passenger room
- Best-in-class 145.1 cubic feet of cargo room (behind first row) in LX, EX, SX trims
- Slide-Flex Seating. In 8-passenger versions this allows multiple configurations, including a a sliding second row center seat. This allows the front passenger easy access to the baby or child riding in it. Plus, this seat also converts into a functional table.
- VIP Seating with available heated and ventilated second-row
- Power controls for wing-out headrests and leg extensions in up-level 7-passenger configuration
- Removable second-row seats and fold-in-floor third-row seats for best-in-class cargo room (second row seats not removable in SX-Prestige)
- The Carnival is motivated by a 3.5-liter V6 engine making a best-in-class 290 horsepower. This powertrain provides up to 3,500 pounds of towing capacity for confident trailer, boat, or camper excursions.
- Range 580 city / 797 highway
- Maximum Towing Capacity (pounds) 3500
- Cargo Space/Area Behind Front Row 4108.1 litres LX, EX, SX
- Cargo Space/Area Behind Second Row 2537.2 litres LX, EX, SX
- Cargo Space/Area Behind Third Row 1138.3 litres LX, EX, SX
- Maximum cargo volume of 2460.7 litres in the SX Prestige
Best In-Class Cargo Room
With removable second-row seats and fold-in-floor third-row seats, there’s room for everything including lay-flat plywood storage. There’s 145.1 cubic feet of cargo room (behind first row) in LX, EX, SX trims.
Best In-Class Passenger Room
“Slide-Flex” seating in 8-passenger versions allows multiple configurations and offers up 168.2 cubic feet of passenger room. Second-row VIP Lounge Seating with power controls, wing-out headrests and leg extensions in up-level 7-passenger configuration.
Best In-Class Horsepower
The Carnival is motivated by a 3.5-liter V6 engine making a best-in-class 290 horsepower. This powertrain provides up to 3,500 pounds of towing capacity for confident trailer, boat, or camper excursions.
The Carnival also offers a roster of special and innovative features to make travel easier, safer, and more enjoyable:
Standard hands-free opening power sliding doors with Smart Key
Available hands-free Smart Power Liftgate with auto-close (EX and above)
Available Smart Key with one-button open/close functionality for rear sliding doors and liftgate (EX and above)
Best in Class Safety Suite
As part of Kia’s overall commitment to safety, the Carnival is loaded with safety features for the whole family.
- Rear Occupant Alert uses ultrasonic sensors engineered to detect child or pet movement. (EX and above)
- Safe Exit Assist: Audibly alerts the driver or passengers when the system detects approaching traffic. Plus, the system can lock the rear doors if needed.
- Rear Passenger View Camera with zoom and night vision. Yes that's right. Keep an eye on children and pets in the back seat, even after dark (standard on EX, SX, SX-Prestige).
- Passenger Talk cabin intercom system (standard on EX, SX, SX-Prestige).
- Passenger Voice Recognition allows second row occupants to control numerous in-vehicle functions (standard on EX SX, SX-Prestige).
- Dual Rear Screen Entertainment Monitors with Wireless Apple and Android device screen mirroring (standard on SX, SX-Prestige).
STANDARD Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
It has a more comprehensive list of standard Advanced Driver Assistance Systems features than any in the segment.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist
- Blind-Spot Avoidance Assist
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist
- Parking Distance Warning-Reverse
- Lane Keeping Assist System with Lane Following Assist
- High Beam Assist
- Driver Attention Warning
AVAILABLE Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
In addition, the Carnival offers several available “Kia Drive Wise” Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) for additional peace of mind:
- Segment-exclusive Blind-Spot View Monitor
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist-Cyclist
- Highway Driving Assist
- Navigation Based Smart Cruise Control-Curve
- Parking Collision Avoidance Assist
- Surround View Monitor
Kia includes it all when it comes to notifications that keep you safe. Engine Idle Notification and Automatic Engine Shut Off is just the start. Features also include:
Rear Occupancy Alert
Consequently, it can send push notification alerts via the UVO link app if movement is detected inside the vehicle.
911 Connect and Roadside Assistance
Will automatically attempt to call 911 via the built-in UVO modem if an airbag deploys. Subsequently, for non-emergencies, it can connect with 24/7 roadside assist and share the vehicle’s location.
Technology Like No Other
And like all of Kia’s lineup, the Carnival offers a wide array of standard and optional technology. This includes:
- Standard 8-inch touchscreen display, or available 12.3" multimedia interface
- 4.2" Supervision instrument cluster, or available 12.3" supervision instrument cluster
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Multi-Bluetooth connectivity
- Up to nine USB ports for all three rows and two 110-volt power inverters
- Available Bose Premium sound system, with 12 high-performance speakers
- Available HomeLink System
- Obstacle-detecting driver window, or available obstacle detecting windows
UVO link telematics offers an array of advanced connected vehicle features, such as connected weather, user profiles, calendar integration, and smart speaker integration (hello, Alexa! Hello Google!). Plus can't-live-without features like:
A new cloud-based route calculation system that uses UVO cloud to calculate the optimal route. In other words, using real-time maps, predicted upcoming traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users, it will get you to your destination.
Enhanced UVO voice assist feature
For example, this allows voice control of the vehicle’s climate, seat and steering-wheel heating, audio system, and other functions.
But don’t take our word for it…
Driving.ca says: “The 2022 Kia Carnival is a minivan for SUV-lovers.” Check out the article here.
Here’s another first look by Motortrend: 2022 Kia Carnival First Look: It’s a “Multi-Purpose Vehicle,” Not a Minivan
Plus, check out all the official information on the 2022 KIA Carnival right here at KIA.ca.
You can also access all our articles on the KIA Carnival right here.