Named Europe's Car of the Year, the Kia EV6 is a dedicated all-electric SUV that boasts jaw-dropping performance, long range, AWD capability, 18-minute ultra-fast charging time, towing capacity, and zero-emissions.
The vehicle delivers 499-kilometres of all-electric range, plus amazing vehicle-to-load functionality. The EV6 boasts a versatile and spacious flat-floor interior that utilizes sustainable materials throughout the cabin. The EV6 also offers a wide array of advanced driver assistance systems, adding an unprecedented level of connectivity and safety.
The EV6 has the same wheelbase as the Kia Telluride. Plus, it compares with the width of a Ford Mustang Mach E and the wheelbase and ground clearance of a Tesla Model Y. It counts the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Tesla Model 3 as its main competition. Size-wise, it fits in the Kia line-up between the Sorento and the Sportage.
How does the Kia EV6 Compare?
The Kia EV6 has five trim levels to choose from, starting at $46,995 including freight. But how does it stack up against the top competitors in the segment? Let's take a peek.
**All prices include freight**
- RWD SR $46,995
- RWD LR $54,995
- AWD LR $56,995
- AWD LR GT-Line Pkg 1 $59,995
- AWD LR GT-Line Pkg 2 $63,995
- All-electric range of 373 to 499 kms depending on the model
- Base model: 168 kWh 225 hp @ 258 lbs ft torque
- Equivalent electric fuel economy is 2.0/1.7/2.6 L/100kms combined/highway/city
- Wheelbase is 114"
- Length is 184.3"
- Width is 74"
- Cargo volume behind front row 1322 litres
- Cargo volume behind second row 690 litres
- Essential $46,944
- Preferred $49,144
- Preferred Long Range $54,144
- Preferred AWD Long Range $57,144
- All-electric range of 411 to 488 kms depending on the model
- Base model: 168 kWh 225 hp @ 258 lbs ft torque
- Equivalent electric fuel economy is 2.1/1.8/2.4 L/100kms combined/highway/city
- Wheelbase is 118.1"
- Length is 182.5"
- Width is 74.4"
- Cargo volume behind front row 1679.2 litres
- Cargo volume behind second row 770.2 litres
- RWD $61,990
- Dual Motor Long Range $68,990
- Dual Motor Performance $76,990
- All-electric range of 423 to 568 kms depending on the model
- Base model: 283 kWh 225 hp @ 302 lbs ft torque
- Equivalent electric fuel economy is 1.8/1.7/1.9 L/100kms combined/highway/city
- Wheelbase is 113.2"
- Length is 184.8"
- Width is 72.8"
- Cargo volume in trunk is 560.7 litres
Kia EV6 Trim Levels
RWD SR (Standard Range)
- 58.0 kWh Lithium Ion Polymer battery
- 167 hp/ 258 ln ft Rear Wheel Drive
- Battery Heating System
- Fast Charge (400/800V)
- 373 km all electric range
- 5-year/100,000 km - Worry-Free Comprehensive Warranty
- 5 year/ unlimited mileage - 24/7 roadside Assistance
- Forward collision avoidance assists with junction turning function
- Lane Keep Assist
- Lane Follow Assist
- Driver Alert Warning
- Rearview camera with dynamic parking guidance
- Rear seat alert with sensor
- 19" alloy wheels
- Electric adjustable heated side mirrors with signal repeaters
- Cloth and vegan leather seats
- Heated front seats
- Smart key with push button start
- 12.3" multimedia interface with navigation and satellite radio
- Kia Connect
- Apple CarPlay / Android Auto / Bluetooth
- Full 12.3" TFT supervision digital cluster
- Smart cruise control with stop and go
- Power outlet; floor console
- USB charger - console outside
- Adds to RWD SR
- 77.4 KwH battery
- 225 hp/ 258 lb ft
- 499 all electric range
- Heated steering wheel
- Multi-directional power driver's seat with memory
- Wireless phone charger
- Heat pump
- Trailer pre-wiring package
- Adds to RWD LR
- 77.4 KwH battery
- 320 hp/ 446 lb ft
- 441 all electric range
AWD LR GT-Line
- Adds to AWD LR
- Forward Collision Avoidance assist with junction turning function, lane-change on-coming, lane-change side, and junction crossing
- Blind Spot Collision Avoidance Assist rear
- Highway Driving Assist II
- Remote Smart Parking Assist
- Gt-line design
- Gt-line 19" alloy wheels
- Vegan leather
- Mood lighting
- Power passenger seat
- Smart power liftgate
- Surround view monitor
- Blindview monitor
AWD LR GT-Line
- Adds to AWD LR GT-Line Package 1
- 20" GT-line allow wheels
- wide sunroof
- auto flush handles
- pure suede leather
- heated rear seats
- ventilated front seats
- V2L Vehicle to load power source
- Meridian Premium audio
- Augmented Reality Heads-Up display
Battery, Range, and Charging
The heart of EV6 is an energy-dense lithium ion polymer battery pack available in two sizes: 58.0 kWh and 77.4 kWh. The low-mounted, underfloor pack delivers energy to both rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive electric motor layouts with varying horsepower at the front and rear axles.
Let's talk power.
The EV6 offers up to 576 horsepower and an estimated zero-to-60 mph performance in less than 3.5 seconds. That's in the AWD model with the 77.4 kWh battery. Other models offer 167, 218, and 313 horsepower.
Beyond its impressive power and range, the EV6’s advanced battery system enables ultra-fast charging. It boasts the world’s first patented multi-charging system. Supporting 400v and 800v DC charging, it works on DC chargers with speeds ranging from 50kW to 350kW.
This 800v DC fast charging from a 350-kW charger allows:
- Nearly 112 KM added in less than 5 minutes
- Up to 338 KM added in under 18 minutes
- 11kW on-board charger for Level 2 recharging from 10-to-100 percent in 7 hours, 10 minutes for the larger 77.4 kWh battery versions
A source of power
Innovative Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) functionality makes EV6 a power source on wheels to support everything from computers and home improvement projects, to camping and tailgating. Electricity flows from the high-energy battery to an Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU), providing 1900 watts of power to electrical appliances, devices, tools, and recreational equipment.
The system highlights include:
- 110V power outlet located in a socket on front of second row seat base; adapter to draw power from the external charge port
- From a full charge, power can be drawn from the vehicle for 36 or more consecutive hours
- EV6 is able to charge vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) at 1.1 kW, equivalent to a 110V charger
The EV6 offers a modern and eco-friendly cabin with a spacious, flat floor design. Standard and available interior highlights include:
- Extensive use of recycled plastic throughout interior
- 100% vegan leather surfaces on some trims
- 100% LED lighting inside and out
- Slim front seats
- Thin seat frames use ultra-light “giga-steel” to maximize rear seat space/knee room due to a slim seat back design
- 690 litres of cargo space behind 60/40 split-folding second row; 1322 litres of cargo space with second row folded down
- Hands-free Smart Power Tailgate for easier cargo access
- Additional storage space for small items in front trunk (frunk)
Ultra Fast Charging
The Kia EV6 boasts the world’s first patented multi-charging system, boasting 80% charging in just 18 minutes using an 800V charging system.
Personal Portable Power
Innovative Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) functionality makes EV6 a power source on wheels to support everything from computers and home improvement projects, to camping and tailgating.
A Joyful Experience
Auto flush door handles, dual 12" curved displays, 499 kms of all electric range, remote smart parking assist, and jaw-dropping zero-to-60 mph performance in less than 3.5 seconds. Joyful indeed.
The EV6 offers a roster of standard and available features that enhance safety and convenience:
- Surround View Monitor (SVM): Utilizes four cameras to provide a 360-degree
- perspective around the vehicle, enhancing driver confidence in tight parking situations
- Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist-Reverse (PCA-R): Detects certain objects behind the vehicle, issuing an audible warning when an obstruction is detected and will automatically assist with emergency braking if there is a risk of collision
- Rear Occupant Alert (ROA): Upon exiting, the vehicle provides a reminder to check for unattended passengers that may remain in the rear seating area
- Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA): Allows remote parking or exiting a parking spot with the driver operating the EV6 from outside the vehicle
- Safe Exit Assist (SEA): Audibly alerts the driver or passengers opening their door not to exit the vehicle when the system detects approaching traffic. The system can intervene to lock the rear doors when the vehicle is equipped with available Power Child Lock.
Cutting Edge Safety Technology
As part of Kia’s overall commitment to safety, the EV6 has a comprehensive list of 21 standard active Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) including:
- Blind-Spot Avoidance Assist (BCA): Under certain conditions, can detect vehicles traveling in the next lane. When a vehicle is detected in the blind spot, the vehicle brakes the outer wheel under certain conditions to help return the vehicle to its lane
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW): Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning to alert the driver
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): Assists the driver when braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions if a vehicle is detected in front. Uses automatic braking to avoid or mitigate an impact
- Other standard iterations of FCA include FCA-Ped (Pedestrian), FCA-LS (Lane-Change Side), FCA-LO (Lane-Change Oncoming), FCA-JC (Junction Crossing), FCA-JT (Junction Turning)
High Beam Assist (HBA): Detects oncoming traffic and automatically switches off the high beam headlights then turns them on once traffic has passed
- Highway Driving Assist II (HDA 2): This system is the evolution of HDA, which is a driving convenience system that keeps a set distance from a car in front and centers the vehicle in the lane. HDA2 will additionally assist with lane changes and adjust the lateral position of the car within the lane
- ISLA (Intelligent Speed Limit Assist): Recognizes signs and provides relevant feedback in the cluster and augmented-reality head-up display (AR HUD)
- Navigation Based Smart Cruise Control-Curve (NSCC-C): Leverages the navigation system to lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming curves in the road
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist (RCCA): Helps detect most approaching cross traffic when in reverse. When approaching cross traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and applies the brakes
Kia includes it all when it comes to notifications that keep you safe. Engine Idle Notification and Automatic Engine Shut Off is just the start. Features also include:
Rear Occupancy Alert
Consequently, it can send push notification alerts via the UVO link app if movement is detected inside the vehicle.
911 Connect and Roadside Assistance
Will automatically attempt to call 911 via the built-in UVO modem if an airbag deploys. Subsequently, for non-emergencies, it can connect with 24/7 roadside assist and share the vehicle’s location.
Technology Like No Other
The EV6 offers a wide array of standard and available technology features, including:
- Panoramic dual integrated 12-inch TFT center cluster and infotainment screens that form a wide, horizontal, curved display extending across the instrument panel
- Blue light-filtered screens to reduce eye strain and fatigue
- Augmented Reality (AR) Head-Up Display (HUD) system projects graphics from the base of the windshield in a large three-dimensional image that appears to be over the hood of the car
- Provides speed and Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) alerts, vehicle information, lane guidance and turn-by-turn navigation instructions
- Bluetooth functionality
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Meridian Premium Audio system includes 14 speakers with titanium dome for an immersive and rich audio experience
- Intelli Q technology corrects audio volume/sound quality according to vehicle speed change
UVO link connected vehicle experience:
- Kia Pay: Enjoy an in-car commerce experience. Allows the user to transact conveniently from inside the vehicle with a growing number of merchants and popular outlets
- Available Add-On customer convenience Map and Infotainment Over-The-Air (OTA) capability
- Available Wi-Fi Hotspot: Allows customers to connect their personal devices and enjoy streaming
Stolen Vehicle Recovery: Peace of mind for owners with the capability to assist law enforcement agencies to recover a stolen vehicle
- Connected Routing: Uses the cloud to calculate the optimal route using real-time maps, predicted traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users
- Smartwatch accessibility: Provides battery status, vehicle notifications and certain vehicle control through Apple and Android smartwatches
- Connected Weather: Provides weather information for more than 25,000 cities
- Enhanced voice assist feature allows voice control of the vehicle’s climate, seat and steering-wheel heating, audio system, and other functions
- Smart Speaker Integration: Lets customers use Amazon-Alexa or Google-Assistant enabled smart speaker or device to remotely control certain vehicle functions, such as remote start
- 911 Connect and Roadside Assistance: Automatically calls 911 via the built-in modem if an airbag deploys. For non-emergencies, it can connect with 24/7 roadside assistance and share the vehicle’s location
- On-demand Find My Car with Surround View Monitor: Uses the vehicle cameras to capture images of the vehicle’s surroundings and then displays them in the UVO link App or Portal
- Last Mile Navigation: Provides walking directions to the driver’s actual destination if the vehicle is parked between 0.1 and 1.2 miles away
- Integrates owner’s personal calendar and shows calendar events in the navigation system
UVO link telematics offers an array of advanced connected vehicle features, such as connected weather, user profiles, calendar integration, and smart speaker integration (hello, Alexa! Hello Google!). Plus can't-live-without features like:
A new cloud-based route calculation system that uses UVO cloud to calculate the optimal route. In other words, using real-time maps, predicted upcoming traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users, it will get you to your destination.
Enhanced UVO voice assist feature
For example, this allows voice control of the vehicle’s climate, seat and steering-wheel heating, audio system, and other functions.
But don’t take our word for it…
CNET 2022 Kia EV6 First Drive Review: Simply the Best. "With its class-topping balance of performance, range and features, Kia's first dedicated EV may be the best model the automaker has ever made.” Check out the article here.
Plus, check out all the official information on the 2022 KIA EV6 right here at KIA.ca.
You can also access all our articles on the KIA EV6 right here.