Kia Reveals the All-New EV9: A Bold Electric SUV
Kia revealed full images of the exterior and interior design of the Kia EV9, its first three-row electric flagship SUV, which encapsulates bold styling and sophisticated elegance inside and out. Kia’s designers have fused a unique combination of sleek, sculptural shapes and assured, assertive geometry to deliver a strikingly contemporary yet gracefully serene SUV.
“The Kia EV9 breaks new ground, aiming to redefine standards for design, connectivity, usability and environmental responsibility,” said Karim Habib, Executive Vice President and Head of Kia Global Design Center.
“The Kia EV9 offers customers an exceptionally high-quality proposition and a fresh EV perspective in the family SUV sector. This new vehicle typology provides instinctive experiences and excellent comfort for not just the driver, but all occupants, through innovative use of space, technology and design.”
- A segment above: All-electric EV9 debuts as Kia’s first dedicated three-row EV SUV with space for adventure, premium accommodations rivaling ultra-luxury SUVs
- Distinctive simplicity of form: “Opposites United” design language extended to a new typology with familiar Kia SUV cues
- Next-generation interior material strategy and style: Dual-display cockpit features full digital instrumentation and multiple camera feeds, alternatives to traditional leather trim including partially recycled materials
- First-class second row: Available second-row power-adjustable seats with leg extensions, heating and ventilation; more legroom than many large luxury SUVs currently offer
- Powerful on-road performance: Dual-motor EV9 GT-Line offers 379 hp and 516 lb.-ft. of torque, targets 0-to-60 mph acceleration in 5 seconds
- True SUV capabilities: Available torque-vectoring dual-motor AWD, 7.8 inches of ground clearance, up to 81.9 cubic feet of cargo space behind first row, up to 5000 lb. of towing capacity
- Standard 800V electrical architecture: Enables ultrafast recharging on high-speed DC chargers, designed to go from a 10 to 80 percent state of charge in under 25 minutes
- OTA-capable technology leader: Advanced technology includes upgradeable vehicle system controllers and infotainment features
- Advancing the art of ADAS: Standard collision-avoidance and active assist technologies elevated to new levels with lidar-capable technologies
Stunning Exterior Design
The front of the EV9 is denoted by simple clear-cut lines and body surfaces, which exude confidence, clarity and calmness in equal measure. Accentuated by the Digital Pattern Lighting Grille and striking vertical headlamps, the EV9’s signature Digital Tiger Face imparts a visionary and futuristic look and feel. The Digital Tiger Face features two clusters of small cube lamps within the bodywork adjacent to each headlamp. The EV9’s innovative ‘Star Map LED daytime running lights create a new illumination experience and delivers a sophisticated animated lighting pattern that will denote Kia’s Digital Tiger Face for the brand’s future EV models.
The side profile of the EV9 effortlessly combines a strong and indisputable SUV identity with exceptional aerodynamic efficiency. Dynamic triangular fender structures and highly pronounced geometric wheel arches combine with the fuselage body, unifying the polygonal elements into a cohesive structure that presents a determined look. Flush door handles and a tapered back roofline gives a sense of smooth and efficient motion.
At the rear of the vehicle, the simple, clean lines of the tailgate, which are elegantly detailed by the slim rear lights that mirror the design of those at the front, further reflect the EV9’s strong and confident stance.
Built on Kia’s Electric Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), the EV9’s long wheelbase, low beltline, and completely flat electric vehicle architecture have facilitated the creation of generous space for all occupants to connect and relax with lounge-style comfort in all three rows of seats. Offered in both six and seven-seat formats, Kia captured feedback from families to evaluate seating configurations and features to ensure the EV9 delivers equality of space, comfort and experience for all occupants without placing all of its focus on the driver.
Occupants sitting in the first and second-row seats can simultaneously recline their seats to relax and rest when the EV9 is charging. The seats in the second row can be effortlessly swiveled 180 degrees so that occupants can interact with those sitting in the third row. The third-row seats also offer cup holders and charging points for mobile devices.
Throughout the spacious, light, airy cabin, the EV9 embodies an elegantly simple, premium quality, exceptionally user-friendly design. The open, floating panoramic dashboard extends from the steering wheel to the vehicle’s center. Two 12.3-inch touch screens integrated with one 5-inch segment display improve the digital experience, offering effortless control of the vehicle’s functions and ensuring physical buttons are kept to a minimum.
The center console is equipped with ample storage options, including a spacious compartment located at its base. The center console doors are further designed to add to the overall refinement of the interior space.
The EV9’s extended display high-definition audio visual, navigation and telematics (AVNT) screen creates a rich and immersive experience. It enhances occupants’ ability to engage and interact with the digital world seamlessly. Beneath the AVNT screen, an array of hidden type touch buttons provides a start/stop function along with AVNT and heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) control.
We cannot wait for this all-star SUV to land on Vancouver Island shores. While we’re still waiting for the Kia EV9’s official digital global premiere, this EV SUV will be one to wait for. Stay posted to the Kia Victoria Blog for all the latest on the EV9!