Staking claim on the near unoccupied space of 5-door sub-compact cars is the always popular Kia Rio. This versatile hatchback is known to delivery reliability and technology at a great price. Up until 2020 it was available as a 4-door sedan, but now is only available as a 5-door hatchback.
CarandDriver.com says, “With a sophisticated driving experience and solid array of standard features, the Rio offers a lot of car for not a lot of money.”
Here's a list of some award highlights:
- The Car Guide: Best Buy Subcompact Car 2021
- 2021 Autotrader Best Subcompact Car Award
- 2021 Best-in-Class J.D. Power Canada ALG Residual Value Awards, subcompact segment
- 2021 Vincentric Best Value in America Award, Subcompact Hatchback segment
How does the Kia Rio Compare?
The Kia Rio has four trim levels to choose from, starting at $19,095 including freight. But how does it stack up against the top competitors in the segment? Let's take a peek.
**All prices include freight**
- LX Manual $19,145
- LX+ IVT $20,245
- LX Premium IVT $21,745
- EX Premium IVT $24,695
- No longer available. The Fit was discontinued in 2020.
- Information to come
- Information to come
Kia Rio Trim Levels
- 5-year/100,000 km - Worry-Free Comprehensive Warranty
- 5 year/ unlimited mileage - 24/7 roadside Assistance
- 1.6L MPI Engine, 6-Speed Manual Transmission
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- 15” Steel Wheels with wheel cover
- Rear Spoiler
- Electric Heated Adjustable Outside Mirrors
- Cloth Seats
- Driver Seat Height Adjuster
- 60:40 Folding Rear Seat
- Heated Front Seats
- Leather Steering Wheel
- Keyless Entry
- 8” Display
- AM/FM/HD/MP3, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay (Wireless), Bluetooth
- 6 Speakers
- Steering wheel Audio Remote Control
- Auto Cruise Control
- Rear View Camera with Dynamic Parking Guideline
- Air Conditioning
- Adds to LX+ MT
- Automatic Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT)
- Driver Mode Select
LX Premium IVT
- Adds to LX+ IVT
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW)
- 15” Alloy Wheels
- Bi-function Projection Head Lamps
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- LED Position Lamp
- Heated Steering Wheel
- 4.2” Supervision Cluster
EX Premium IVT
- Adds to LX Premium IVT
- Forward Collision Avoidance Assist; Car/Pedestrian (FCA)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Lane Following Assist (LFA)
- High Beam Assist
- 15” Alloy Wheels; Machine Finished
- Side Repeater Lamps
- Radiator Grille
- Fog Lights
- Leather Shift Knob
- Tilt & Telescopic Steering Wheel
- Smart Key (Fob) & Engine Start Button
- UVO Intelligence Telematics
- Satellite Radio • Auto Climate Control
- Auto Window Defogger
Innovative Flexible Cabin
Nothing beats a hatchback for flexibility, versatility, and value. With 928 litres of cargo space/area behind the front row, 493 litres and of cargo space/area behind second row, there's room for everything.
A 5-door compact car offers a rear liftgate with an easily accessible, open cargo area like most SUVs. Plus, they have the perky driving attributes of a small car and much smaller price tag.
Rear View Backup Camera
Backup cameras are perfect for getting in and out of tight parking spaces or when backing into your garage or parking spot at work. When combined with the small yet space-efficient design of the Rio, the backup camera becomes the perfect learning tool for new drivers, especially with its dynamic parking guideline that displays lines behind the vehicle to show you where you're headed. Whether it's a teenager learning to drive for the first time or someone downsizing to a vehicle that's more comfortable to drive, the Rio is the perfect vehicle for a no-hassle, nice and easy driving experience.
Incredibly Fuel Efficient Engine
The Kia Rio offers some of the best fuel efficiency of any non-hybrid vehicle on the road today. The base 1.6L engine produces 6.7L/100 KM combined fuel economy and 6.0L/100 KM while highway driving. Even a small difference in fuel economy numbers can cost or save you hundreds of dollars over your vehicle's lifespan. Go longer between fill-ups and save money at the pump with the Rio’s efficient engine.
8-inch Multimedia Display
The Rio is equipped with an 8-inch multimedia screen that displays various useful information. This screen can display a live feed from your backup camera or show radio or Apple car play/Android auto information. The 8-inch display makes interacting with the screen a breeze and lets you quickly choose whichever option you need.
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW) - Using sensors in the rear bumper of your vehicle, the system detects any vehicles in your blind spots as you drive down the road. Once activated, a small icon appears on your side mirror any time a vehicle is in your blind spot. An auditory beeping noise will join a flashing of the icon, warning you as you begin to switch lanes.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) with Car/Pedestrian - Assists the driver when braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions if a vehicle is detected in front. Uses automatic braking to avoid or mitigate an impact.
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) - Helps detect lane markings and provides steering inputs to help prevent the vehicle from leaving the lane while driving.
- Lane Following Assist (LFA) - Follows lane markings that the system detects and provides steering inputs to help maintain the vehicle in the center of the lane.
- High Beam Assist (HBA) - Engineered to automatically dim the headlights when an oncoming or leading vehicle is detected, then return to high beams when vehicles are no longer detected.
UVO Intelligence Telematics
UVO powers your infotainment features, making it easier for you to enjoy on-the-go convenience with your smartphone. With your touch screen, and the use of pre-programmed voice commands, UVO allows you to access and control all of your favorite amenities and technologies. This includes Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, plus maintenance schedules, 911, Roadside Assistance and much more.
Smart Key Fob + Push Button Start
Customers who choose to upgrade to the EX Premium will receive numerous upgrades to their Rio, including receiving a smart key fob. You’ll Never dig through your purse, bag or pockets for your key again with keyless entry and push-button start. Keyless entry also makes it much harder to lock your keys in your trunk or leave them in the ignition by accident.
Ex Premium Safety Suite
While all basic safety features are included regardless of trim level, the Rio has a set of exclusive advanced features that are added in the EX Premium trim. These features include Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (Car/Pedestrian) (FCA), Lane Keeping Assist (LKA), and Lane Following Assist (LFA), all of which are features that can help prevent unforeseen accidents.
UVO link telematics offers an array of advanced connected vehicle features, such as connected weather, user profiles, calendar integration, and smart speaker integration (hello, Alexa! Hello Google!). Plus can't-live-without features like:
A new cloud-based route calculation system that uses UVO cloud to calculate the optimal route. In other words, using real-time maps, predicted upcoming traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users, it will get you to your destination.
Enhanced UVO voice assist feature
For example, this allows voice control of the vehicle’s climate, seat and steering-wheel heating, audio system, and other functions.
But don’t take our word for it…
You've got to love a 9/10 rating from CarandDriver.com: “With a sophisticated driving experience and solid array of standard features, the Rio offers a lot of car for not a lot of money.” Check out the article here.
Or check out real reviews from real Kia Rio owners here.
Plus, check out all the official information on the KIA Rio right here at KIA.ca.
You can also access all our articles on the KIA Rio right here.